Over the past 40 years, Mr. Stewart has achieved at the highest levels of the legal profession, serving as law clerk to the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, as United States Attorney, as highest rated (A.V., 5.0) trial and appellate lawyer, as a founder of preeminent private-practice law firms in Idaho and Nevada and an influential public-interest law firm in Utah, and as a teacher and leader at one of the nation’s top-tier law schools.
Mr. Stewart serves clients in one practice area: litigation (with emphasis on complex litigation of all kinds and on appellate work). Beyond Idaho, he is admitted to practice before the courts of California, Nevada, and Utah and before the United States Supreme Court and a number of federal district and circuit courts. He has litigated some of the highest-profile cases in the intermountain West.
- Chief Justice Warren E. Burger United States Supreme Court
- Judge J. Clifford Wallace United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Oxford, M.St., with distinction, 2004
- J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, J.D., summa cum laude and first-in-class, 1976
- Brigham Young University, B.A. English, summa cum laude and Highest Honors, 1973
- Marriage, Fundamental Premises, and the California, Connecticut, and Iowa Supreme Courts, 2012 B.Y.U.L. REV. 193 (with Jacob Briggs and Julie Slater)
- Marriage Facts, 31 HARV. J.L. & PUB. POL’Y 313 (2008)
- Dworkin, Marriage, Meanings – and New Jersey, 4 RUTGERS J. L. & PUB. POL’Y 271 (2007)
- Eliding in Washington and California, 42 GONZAGA L. REV. 501 (2007)
- Eliding in New York, 1 DUKE J. CONST. L. & PUB. POL’Y SIDEBAR 37 (2006)
- Genderless Marriage, Institutional Realities, and Judicial Elision, 1 DUKE J. CONST. L. & PUB. POL’Y 1 (2006)
- Marriage and the Betrayal of Perez and Loving, 2005 B.Y.U. L. REV. 555 (with William C. Duncan)
- Judicial Redefinition of Marriage, 21 CANADIAN J. FAM. L. 11 (2004)
- Investigating Possible Bias: The American Legal Academy’s View of Religiously Affiliated Law Schools, 54 J. LEGAL EDUC. 136 (2004) (with Prof. Dennis Tolley)
- Compensatory Damages for Fraud in Nevada: A Proposed Approach, 53 INTER ALIA F7 (1988)
- Pleadings, Amendments to Pleadings and Supplemental Pleadings, chapter 6, NEVADA CIVIL PRACTICE MANUAL (J. Thompson ed. 1986)
- The Winters Doctrine as Federal Common Law, 10 NAT. RESOURCES J. 457 (1977) (with Robert Grow)
- HEW’s Regulation under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972: Ultra Vires Challenges, 1976 B.Y.U.L. REV. 133.